MTV just celebrated its 30th anniversary.Â Regardless of your thoughtsÂ about their content, no one can question the influence they have on today’s young people.Â Â In 2002, Cable Television Advertising Bureau said, “MTVâ€™s median age is exactly when a majority of young American adults begin to form life-long brand loyalties. Young adults 15-17 are excited consumers and extremely impressionable. Now is the time to influence their choices.”
Coltrane Curtis isÂ a managing partner Team Epiphany and former MTV VJ.Â His organization targets young people and his clientsÂ includeÂ Nike, Pepsi, Gillette, and Range Rover.Â HeÂ says in a recent www.MediaPost.comÂ interview thatÂ “marketers need to figure out the strength and direction of influencers and convert that into big brand results.Â How do you engage influencers? You have to talk about the flow of information.”Â
Curtis adds that influencers “are people who are bursting with the seams of information.”
HeÂ concludes that, “we need them to validate the interest of influencers.Â Â They aren’t given to pie in the sky stuff; they are given to actionable stuff.”Â Â Â To read the full article, click here.
As head of Catalyst, Brad Lomenick understands Christian young people as well as anyone.Â He is also talking about the flow of information.Â In each edition of the Catalyst monthly newsletter, he has a group he calls the “Young Influencer List”.Â
Below are the people BradÂ listed in the January through June 2011 issues.Â TheyÂ too areÂ talking about the current flow of Christian information.Â These are theÂ people speaking the currentÂ tribal language that is influencing the next generation of Christian leaders.Â
- Andy Barron- amazing photographer and graphic designer from LA.
- Perrin Rogers- pastor at The Triumphant Church in Hyattsville, Maryland, and a leadership junkie!
- Sarah Cunningham- author of Dear Church, speaker, blogger and skinny white girl (according to her website!!)
- Justin Lathrop- founder of Helpstaff.me, a staffing company, and Exec Pastor of strategic development at The Oaks Church.
- Cole Nesmith- creative director for Status, a church community in Orlando, and also founder of Uncover the Color.
- Seryn- great new band out of Denton, TX. Had them at Catalyst Dallas. Amazing musicians and harmonies.
- Aaron Niequist- songwriter andÂ worship leader at Willow Creek CommunityÂ Church.
- Iris Liang- founder of Videre, an organization fighting global poverty through business development and entrepreneurship.
- James Lee- part of the Hello Somebody team. Dreamer and visionary.
- Scotty and Tiffany Smiley- amazing couple. Scotty is the author of Hope Unseen and the first blind officer in the US Army, & winner of the 2008 ESPY for best outdoor athlete. Read this book!!
- Jeff Slobotski- Founder of Silicon Prairie News and the Big Omaha Conference.
- Bryan Carter- Senior Pastor of Concord Church in Dallas.
- Spencer Dusebout- teenage founder of Hands 4 Others, a movement of young people helping others around the world.
- Elias Dummer- lead singer and frontman for the rising band City Harmonic out of Canada.
- Carl Lentz- co-pastor of Hillsong Church NYC.
- Sarah Hill- youth pastor of Bethany Hamilton, portrayed by Carrie Underwood in Soul Surfer movie.
- Joshua Symonette- former pro football player, and now leadership coach and maven.
- Kevin Queen- teaching pastor at 12Stone Church, and directional leader of Hamilton Mill campus.
- Dominic Balli- songwriter, pop/hip-hop/reggae musician and performer. Recently performed at Catalyst West.
- JarrodÂ Shappell- helped start a church in San Francisco called IKON. Also involved with the Faith Amplifier Project.
- Jason Petty- otherwise known as Propaganda, a talented rapper, writer and spoken word artist. Recently performed at Catalyst West.
- Amanda Peck- founder of ReSurface Art, creating custom art on vintage surfboards, with a cause- portion of proceeds go to clean wells in partnership with World Vision.
- Rebekah Weigel- c0-writer and producer, along with her husband Josh, of the recent blockbuster short film TheÂ Butterfly Circus.
- Drew Holcomb- singer/songwriter/rocker out of Nashville. Currently on tour with his band â€œDrew Holcomb and the Neighborsâ€œ.
- Clay Scroggins- high school director and frequent teaching pastor at North Point Community Church.
- Bubba Watson- PGA Tour golfer and recent winner at the 2011 Farmers Insurance Open.
- Jennifer Alt- philanthropy director for the Segel Group.
- Ryan Sisson- Founding Partner, Moniker Group; and event experience creator.
- Jeâ€™kob Washington- Rapper, singer and record producer.
- Del Chittim- founder of Calibrate in Seattle.
- Emily Vogeltanz- designer of the Do Something Now experience at the Passion Conferences.
- Dharius Daniels- senior pastor and founder of Kingdom Church in New Jersey.
- Jenna Lucado Bishop- speaker, author of Redefining Beautiful, and daughter of Max Lucado
- Blake Canterbury- founder of BeRemedy, an organization that creates simple ways for you to help other people.
- Isaac Hunter- senior pastor, Summit Church in Orlando
- Karla Keatinge- heads up the i-heart campaign for Hillsong United.
- Tifah Smith- lead vocalist of a new favorite band- The Autumn Film.
Leaders, simple question – what flow of information are you talking about?
To get additional information from Brad and the Catalyst movement, read 22 Leadership Quotes From Brad Lomenick’sÂ Interview With Worship Leader Chris Tomlin.
To get future posts on leadership sent directly to you, please take advantage of our many subscription offers.