It has been a busy year and I finally crossed the finish line at work. My first act of decompression during the two-week Christmas break was sleeping late today. The second was going to the 10:00 AM showing of Tom Cruise’s latest movie Jack Reacher. I would give the film a “B” rating. It does not require much mental energy and you can just ease back into your cushioned, Dolby Surround Sound seat and relax.
If you want mental stimulation, go see Lincoln. If you want a classic guy-flick with shiny things and bad guys getting beat up, this will do just fine.
The following are 13 leadership quotes and principles from Reacher I captured during the movie.
- Great Leaders In Small Churches – Even though it was opening weekend, a Tom Cruise movie, and a crowded mall was across the street, there were only six people in the theater. The size of the audience was not an indication of the quality of the product. In a similar way, I know there are many great pastors speaking to small audiences this weekend. Keep up the great work! You are desperately needed!
- The Power of Observation - One of Reacher’s many strengths was the ability to look at a conversation or situation and discover truths completely hidden from everyone else. Great leaders can accomplish this very same thing by processing all of life’s events through a leadership grid.
- “People join the military for one of four reasons. Family trade, patriots, need a job, or a legal means to kill people.” - I do not if that is true but it is an interesting quote.
- “A gold mine is only as good as the man digging.” - Great leaders know there is a difference between sensing an opportunity and seizing it.
- When asked the difference was between being a military and a civilian police officer, Reacher responds, “In the Army, every suspect is a trained killer.”
- “The cheapest woman tends to be the one you pay the most for.” – Men, PAY ATTENTION!!!
- “Three things cops never do – they don’t vote democrat. They never use Cadillacs and they don’t drive their own cars.” – Once again, I do not know if that is true but it is also an interesting quote.
- The Value Of A Female – Dads should prioritize giving their daughters the gift of healthy self-esteem. There was a young girl in the film named Sandy. She was attractive, intelligent (she was doing her employer’s books), yet hung around some bad guys to her demise. To any girls reading this post, you don’t have to let guys use you.
- “Skills become reflex by muscle memory.” - Leaders know that practice makes permanent. So do it well.
- “You think I’m a hero? I am not a hero. And if you’re smart, that scares you. Because I have nothing to lose.” - Great leaders understand the value of options. Options allow you perform without fear.
- “Shooting is a perishable skill.” - What made you successful today will not keep you successful tomorrow. Great leaders know that all skills are perishable and become outdated.
- The Value Of Experience - Great leaders strategically leverage the experience and expertise on their teams. Cash, played by Robert Duvall, proves to be an invaluable resource to Reacher during the film’s climatic action sequence. The most successful organizations have seasoned leadership adding value at critical moments.
- The Right Tools - Great leaders have the proper tools to accomplish the right tasks. During one scene, Reacher had a knife when he needed a gun. I have known many unsuccessful leaders who figuratively took a knife into a gunfight.
Leaders, please give me your thoughts on the movie.
Subscribe here so future posts can be sent directly to your Inbox. As a gift for doing so, I will also send you a FREE copy of my brand new eBook 455 Leadership Quotes: Lessons From 2012′s Top Christian Conference Speakers.