Lent begins on Wednesday, February 13th and will continue though Saturday, March 30th. For those of you unfamiliar with Lent, it is the 40 weekdays before Easter observed in some Christian churches as a period of prayer, penance, fasting, and self-denial. This period, starting on Ash Wednesday in Western churches, commemorates the 40 days that Jesus Christ spent fasting in the wilderness just prior to the launch of His public ministry.
This year I have felt led to abstain from sweets until Easter. This is going to be REALLY tough. If I make it, I am probably going to eat about a dozen chocolate bunnies on Easter!!! Seriously, the reason for avoiding sweets is for my health and the need to lose some weight.
Going through this process caused me to think about what leaders should abstain from during Lent. With that in mind, the following is a list of 10 things that some leaders should pray about giving up:
- Leaders Should Give Up Entitlement – No one owes you anything. During Lent, focus on serving your team rather than them serving you.
- Leaders Should Give Up Being Selfish – Looks for ways to bless your team financially this year.
- Leaders Should Give Up Their Talent - Share your giftedness with the world rather than making them pay for it. Believe it or not, this generosity will make you even more valuable.
- Leaders Should Give Up Being The Sole Decision Maker – Allow your team to add to your thoughts. Trust me, their thoughts will make your thinking better.
- Leaders Should Give Up Being Angry – Do not lead by fear. Allow your team the freedom to make mistakes. This newfound creativity will take your organization to new heights.
- Leaders Should Give Up Their Time – No one will appreciate this more than your family.
- Leaders Should Give Up Bad Habits – These habits are slowly eroding your influence anyway.
- Leaders Should Give Up Complaining – Try not to break this by your morning coffee on the 13th!
- Leaders Should Give Up Micro-Managing – Trust your team. If you hired the right people, they will do a great job for you.
- Leaders Should Give Up Being Fearful – Take these next six weeks to renew your reliance and dependence on Jesus. He conquered death and the grave. He can also conquer whatever you are facing no matter how difficult it may seem.
Does some of these hit home for you? What are you abstaining from this year?
Subscribe here so future posts can be sent directly to your Inbox. As a gift for doing so, I will also send you a FREE copy of my brand new eBook 455 Leadership Quotes: Lessons From 2012′s Top Christian Conference Speakers.