Somebody reading this post needs a breakthrough right now. You are struggling in your marriage, or in raising children, or in your career, or financially, or perhaps even spiritually. You need a breakthrough.
At the end of this post I am going to give you insights into what has worked for me in those five areas, but first, I want to share with you the one thing you can do to make a HUGE difference in your life.
If you want to make a HUGE difference in your life, start by simply making small incremental changes daily. We live in a world where we value shock and awe. We want to hit the lottery, or swing for the fences, or say “All in” and put all our chips on the table. This is a flawed approach.
Casey Graham constantly reminds me, “Everyday is more important than the big day.” We have forgotten the value of process. For many Christians, we have lost the value of sanctification and watching God doing something in our lives over time.
We want the fall harvest without the hard work of fixing the tractor in the winter, tilling the soil and planting the seed in the spring, and pulling weeds and praying through the summer drought. We want the harvest today. We want Easter without Good Friday.
I understand and struggle with those same thoughts myself.
The changes we long to see do not come from big events but rather small changes that yield HUGE results. The following are two examples:
In the early 80′s, the San Diego Chargers drafted future Hall Of Fame tight end Kellen Winslow. Tight ends at the time lined up on the line of scrimmage. Winslow was getting pounded. The coaching staff decided something revolutionary – Allow Winslow to stand up and position himself a few yards away from the line of scrimmage. This new position, called The Roving-Y, created multiple match-up problems and was the forerunner to today’s spread offenses.
Just a small change, moving Winslow a few yards, changed the game.
The hottest offense in the NFL today is called the pistol. Created in 2005 by Nevada head coach Chris Ault, this formation has the quarterback positioned 4 yards behind the center rather than 8 yards in the shotgun (hence the name pistol). Ault discovered the quarterback got the ball faster. Pass rushers were at a disadvantage because they were used to going after the quarterbacks much farther behind the line of scrimmage. The team could also still execute its base running package but with even more options because the quarterback and running back were now side-by-side.
Just a small change, moving the quarterback four yards, changed the game.
Small changes make a HUGE difference. What is a four yard adjustment you can make in your life TODAY?
I will now speak specifically to husbands and fathers. The following are fifteen small changes, four yard adjustments if you will, you can make TODAY that will make a HUGE difference in your life:
- Marriage – Decide to outserve your spouse. Husbands can help with laundry, dinner, and dishes. Say “I’m sorry.” Five little things that will yield HUGE results.
- Children – Have a date with your child once a week. Tuck them in bed at night. Do something together that interests them. Pray over them. Four little things that yield HUGE results.
- Career – Arrive 30 minutes early and stay 30 minutes late. Admit your mistakes. And finally, Jack Welch said, “Without question, the biggest advice I always give people is to be in a job you love and over-deliver. When your boss asks you to do something, they already have something in their mind they want to get done. Over-deliver.” Three little things that yield HUGE results.
- Financially – Get on a budget allowing you to spend less than you make. Practice generosity by giving to and serving the poor and under-resourced. Test God by tithing. Let’s be fair, that is two little things that yields HUGE results. Tithing is not a little thing.
- Spiritually – Have a quiet time every morning. That moment of reflection and listening yields HUGE results in my life.
Did you notice I did not mention health. I’m struggling in that area and need to make some changes before I have the credibility to speak on it. No one is perfect.
Let me hear from you. What small changes have you made that has yielded HUGE results?
Subscribe here so future posts can be sent directly to your Inbox. As a gift for doing so, I will also send you a FREE copy of my brand new eBook 455 Leadership Quotes: Lessons From 2012′s Top Christian Conference Speakers.